Let me cut right to the chase: you’re coming to the Creative Freelancer Conference to meet people.
Sure, you think you’re coming to CFC for business advice, or tax tips. You’re not. You’re coming to CFC because of the amazing people who also attend this conference. They’re the ones who will form your network, your tribe, your motivational kick-in-the-butt team who will help you through the changes in your business.
You want to meet them, right?
Guess what? They want to meet you.
Yes, you: the one who wants to sit in the back of the room and quietly observes.
Yes, you: the person who would rather endure a root canal than speak to a stranger at a cocktail party.
Yes, you: the introvert who is convinced that the three hardest words in the English language are, “Hi, I’m ____.”
Know how I know this? Because we’re just like you.
So let’s make it easy. Here are some networking tips and tricks (and outright cheats) for meeting us:
- Send messages using the Twitter hashtag #CFConf Example: “Want coffee? I’m buying. Winner is the first person to find me. I’m by the blue couch in the lobby.”
- Bring candy. You’ll never be more popular than when you deliver treats to your tablemates during the afternoon doldrums.
- Wear something distinctive. A memorable necklace. A bright shirt. An unusual hat. Give people a reason to make eye contact and start a conversation.
- Bring party favors. Seriously, a little bit of silly goes a long way.
- Bring crayons. Most attendees are artists. Have a contest for who can draw the best/funniest/most interesting picture of a Boston landmark.
What’s my trick? Sorry, you’re just going to have to wait and see.