01. Title Jaime Alvarez: Nowhere | Design Firm Pixel Parlor, Philadelphia; www.pixelparlor.com | Creative Team Jenn Richey Nicholas, art director; Sam Rahman, designer; Jaime Alvarez, photographer | Printer Linco Printing | Client Jaime Alvarez | Details This promotional mailer has attracted interest from several galleries and resulted in two solo shows for Alvarez thus far.
02. Title Sarah Kehoe Photography Winter Promo | Design Firm Christy Sheppard Knell Art and Design, Dobbs Ferry, NY; www.cskad.com | Creative Team Christy Sheppard Knell, designer; Sarah Kehoe, photographer | Printer Diversified Graphics | Client Sarah Kehoe Photography
| Details In this promo for Sarah Kehoe Photography, Sheppard Knell wove some of Kehoe’s best works into a story about her photographic style.
03. Title Snow Day | Design Firm CHRO design, Dover, MA; www.chrodesign.com | Creative Team Eleni Chronopoulos, art director/designer; Gary Land, photographer | Printer RPI Printing | Client Gary Land Photography | Details This book showcases Land’s work for Nike’s Snow Day campaign.
04. Title Dr. Thumbdrive | Design Firm Decker Design Inc., New York City; www.deckerdesign.com | Creative Team Lynda Decker, art director/designer/copywriter; John Madere, art director/photographer/printer | Client John Madere Photography LLC | Details Decker Design encouraged Madere to promote his healthcare photography through mail, while making it easy to view via Dr. Thumbdrive.
05. Title Equation of Time | Organization/Client LIK USA, Las Vegas; www.lik.com | Details This epic collection of world-class photography showcases Peter Lik’s most stunning visions from the world around us—206 of which span an incredible 40 inches across.
06. Title “How We Live” Promotional Booklet | Design Firm Merrygood, Austin, TX; www.merrygood.com | Creative Team Nicole Fikes, art director; Buff Strickland, photographer | Client Buff Strickland | Details This piece made a huge impact for Strickland—scoring her new work and a bit of publicity, as it was featured on the popular Instagram account @aphotoeditor, which belongs to a noteworthy photo editor.
PRO BONO PROMOTIONS
01. Title Code Red Campaign | Design Firm Watermark Design, Charlottesville, VA; www.designbywatermark.com | Creative Team Darcey Ohlin Lacy, art director; Hannah Slagle, Jena Thielges, designers/illustrators | Client Code Red | Details The objective was to assist women who don’t have access to adequate amounts of feminine hygiene products.
02. Title Furlough | Design Firm DMH, Kansas City, MO; www.dmhadv.com | Creative Team Brian Merckens, creative director; Caitlin Workman, art director/designer/illustrator; West Valentine, copywriter | Client Kansas City Pet Project | Details Furlough is a fundraising event that connects companies, Kansas Citians and dogs.
03. Title Goodwill Vintage Fashion Show 2015 Poster | Design Firm Designsensory, Knoxville, TN; www.designsensory.com | Creative Team Joseph Nother, creative director; Kevin Jones, designer; Susan Hamilton, copywriter | Client Goodwill Industries-Knoxville | Details Designsensory grounded the campaign with the concept of vintage clothing patterns, overlaid with retro language.
04. Title Make The Cut | Design Firm Principal Type, Portland, OR; www.principaltype.com | Creative Team Nathan Savage, art director/designer; John Bohls, designer | Client Portland Community College | Details The challenge was to entice creative professionals to seek new blood from a community college.
05. Title Me & the Bees: Identity Language System | Design Firm Team One, Los Angeles; www.teamone-usa.com | Creative Team Tim Meraz, design director; Braden Wise, designer | Client Me & the Bees Lemonade | Details Mikaila Ulmer, an 11-year-old social entrepreneur, launched Me & the Bees Lemonade. Team One’s challenge was to concept an identity language that cohesively communicates the three tiers of the brand’s ideology.
06. Title Rattles Campaign—Strawberry Fields, Here Comes The Sun, I Am The Walrus, Long And Winding Road | Design Firm Zulu Alpha Kilo, Toronto; www.zulualphakilo.com | Creative Team Zak Mroueh, creative director; Andrea Romanelli, art director; Todd McLellan, photographer; Jonathan King, copywriter; Brandon Dyson, Jamie Morren, studio artists; Kari Macknight Dearborn, agency producer; Kate Torrance, account team | Printer Flash Reproductions | Client Rattles | Details Mixing imagery of musical instruments with Beatles song titles, Zulu Alpha Kilo created bold visual metaphors.
07. Title WordCamp US | Design Firm Linchpin, Pawtucket, RI; www.linchpinagency.com | Creative Team Michael J. Chevalier, art director; Mary Beth Amaral, Eric Beltram, designers | Client WordCamp US | Details Working with the organizers and volunteers, Linchpin donated time
and efforts to create the logo, website design and other digital and print collateral.
01. Title All That Remains: The Legacy of the World War II Japanese American Internment Camps | Design Firm Studio Hinrichs, San Francisco; www.studio-hinrichs.com | Creative Team Kit Hinrichs, art director/designer; Dang Nguyen, designer; Terry Heffernan, photographer; Delphine Hirasuna, copywriter | Printer Blanchette Press | Client Hirasuna Editorial | Details Studio Hinrichs reflects on how the art created under the direst circumstances is truly a triumph of the human spirit.
02. Title Freak Out! Student Recruitment Campaign | Organization/Client Interbrand, Cincinnati; www.interbrand.com | Creative Team Kate Chavez, art director; Emily Schwegman, designer; Scott Cunningham, designer/copywriter; Jeff Tilford, photographer; Elisabeth Brennan, digital imaging specialist; Jack Hinkel, Chuck McKee, implementation designers; Scott Cunningham, videographer; Rebeca Arbona, strategist; John Moose, website programmer; Katie Carter, makeup artist | Details Interbrand’s unique approach to recruiting has attracted passionate, diverse creative talent and set the bar in their industry.
03. Title Infobites | Organization/Client Hypothesis, Los Angeles; www.hypothesisgroup.com | Creative Team Edahn Small, Jenny Pfost, art directors; Maggie Boyle, Maddie Isaacs, Jason Lane, designers | Details A creative team in a research firm is an industry anomaly. Hypothesis combined information design with public data to promote the brand.
04. Title Invade Cancer T-shirt | Designer/Client Dave Gouveia, Toronto; www.davegouveia.com | Printer Peace and Cotton Inc. | Details With family and friends affected by cancer, Gouveia decided to create an officially licensed product, with proceeds going to the Canadian Cancer Society.
05. Title James Harden 3D poster | Organization/Client Houston Rockets, Houston; www.rockets.com | Creative Team Jose Lopez, art director/designer; Bill Baptist, photographer | Printer Chase P. Young | Details This promotion went so well that the team produced an additional 1,000 posters to be sold with a ticket plan.
06. Title New Year’s Eve | Organization/Client The Venetian Las Vegas; www.venetian.com | Creative Team Adam Marshall, creative director; Sandy Schiff, art director; Bryant Nguyen, graphic designer/project lead; Adam Martin, Eric Vozzola, senior graphic designers; Becca Merriam, graphic designer; Matt Keller, copywriter; Sophia Rosario, production manager; Julio Meza, project manager | Details The team created a high-end invitation that utilized a new production technique of raised spot ultraviolet foil.
07. Title Shapiro Center Booklet | Organization/Client School of the Art Institute of Chicago; www.saic.edu | Creative Team Patrick Jenkins, art director/designer; Jeremy Ohmes, copywriter; David Collins, interim design director | Details At Shapiro Center, students and faculty explore transformative ideas across art, design, science, business, social welfare and cultural sustainability.
08. Title Typeworth Educational Series Posters | Organization/Client Typeworth LLC, Brooklyn; www.typeworth.com | Creative Team Jon Robbins, art director/designer; Maddison Bradley, copywriter | Details Typeworth created posters that showcase the value of type design and mailed them to influencers, media outlets, type designers and other creative leaders.
09. Title Warren Wilson College 2016 Accepted Students Day | Organization/Client Warren Wilson College, Black Mountain, NC; www.warren-wilson.edu | Creative Team Mary Ellen Davis, art director/designer/illustrator/copywriter; Jason Davis, art director; 7 Ton Design and Letterpress Company, photography; Janelle Holmboe, copywriter | Printer Blue Ridge Printing, Warren Wilson College Press | Details When Mary Ellen Davis applied for a position at the College, she had to submit a mock invitation. She landed the job, and the boss fell in love with the invitation.
10. Title Warren Wilson College 2016 Parliament of Scholars | Organization/Client Warren Wilson College, Black Mountain, NC; www.warren-wilson.edu | Creative Team Mary Ellen Davis, art director/designer/illustrator; Janelle Holmboe, art director/copywriter; 7 Ton Design and Letterpress Company, photography/printing | Details The team created a compelling invitation that resulted in the largest recruitment event in the history of the college.
11. Title Wings in the Wind | Organization/Client Greteman Group, Wichita, KS; www.gretemangroup.com | Creative Team Sonia Greteman, art director; Meghan Smith, Marc Bosworth, designers/illustrators; Deanna Harms, Randy Bradbury, copywriters | Printer Donlevy Litho | Details The masks do more than reinforce Greteman Group’s market niche, aviation marketing. They also communicate the agency’s choice of nonprofit holiday giving: the Eagle Valley Raptor Center.