01. Title Aegis Airline | Students Hyunsik Kim, www.hyunsikkim.com; with contributions by Sunjun Lee | Instructors Chelsea Garber, Steve Winchell | School School of Visual Arts, New York City; www.sva.edu | Details Kim, who came to the U.S. at 16, developed this idea to assure worried parents of their children’s safety during international travel.
02. Title Alibi Pies Restaurant | Student Michaela Yarbrough; www.michaelayarbrough.com | Instructors Carla Tedeschi, Armando Godinez Jr. | School Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX; www.ttu.edu | Details Alibi Pies is a speakeasy pizza restaurant based in Seattle. The brand reflects the secretive nature of the Prohibition era.
03. Title Camp Counselor Badges | Student Caroline VanZoeren; www.carovanzoeren.com | Instructor Jason Kernovich | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details As a teenager, VanZoeren worked as an arts and crafts counselor at a day camp. She took the idea of a summer camp job and put a twist on Boy Scout badges.
04. Title Chimera Art and Literature Journal Vol. XII | Students Aaron Easler, Emily McGaughey, Laura Craig, Dylan Devine, Matt Fuller, Ian George, Lewis Hazen, Abbey Hlista, Kristina Legath, Ashley Mikalauskas | Instructors Francis Demaske, Donghwa Kim, Suzanne Proulx, Bill Mathie, Brad Pattullo, Carrie Hohmann Campbell, Brigette Davitt, Shelle Barron, www.borodesignschool.com | Client/School Edinboro University, Edinboro, PA; www.edinboro.edu | Details This journal showcases selected work from Edinboro University students. The team’s design features a toned-down CMYK palette and dotted grid.
05. Title Chris + Jessie | Student Hyela Lee; www.hyelalee.com | Instructor Emily G.A. Moody | School Kapiolani Community College, Honolulu; www.kapiolani.hawaii.edu | Details Chris and Jessie hope that their socks bring life and fun to the mundane. In this project, Lee uses mundane objects so that the vivid, fun pieces do the same.
06. Title Enchanted Skies | Student Emma Shimberg; www.emmashimberg.com | Instructor Dustin Summers | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details Shimberg was inspired by the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta to create a new way one could tour the state.
07. Title Illustrated Edition of Frankenstein | Student Isaac Potter; www.isaacpotter.com | Instructor Paul Kepple | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details An abridged version of the novel, this illustrated edition of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein includes many chapter pages, sections of body copy and full-page illustrations.
08. Title Julia Child Cookbook Promotion | Student Eun Jung Bahng; www.jenniferbahng.com | Instructor Chesley Nassaney | School Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, CA; www.artcenter.edu | Details In this book design for Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking, each chapter is a separate book, and they all fit into a wooden bookcase.
09. Title Medusa Olive Oil | Student Thanh Nguyen; www.thanhdesigns.com | Instructors Paul Sheriff, Kelly Holohan | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details Medusa Olive Oil is a Greek oil brand inspired by the country’s historic mythical Medusa monster. Nguyen used the Medusa figure to represent the origin of the brand.
10. Title Old MacDonald’s Farm | Student Christian Stewart; www.cs-dsgn.com | Instructor Paul Sheriff | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details The task was to develop an organic produce line by the name of “Old MacDonald’s Farm,” tailored to an informed consumer looking for healthy alternatives.
11. Title Power Cream | Students Madeleine McMichael; www.madeleinemcmichael.com; with contributions by Austen Hart, www.austenhart.com | Instructor Paul Sheriff | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details McMichael was instructed to create a hypothetical product that combats a social injustice. Her version of “Power Cream” puts an end to gender biases in the workplace one application at a time.
12. Title QWRKOUT, www.qwrkout.com | Student Reham Ibrahim; www.rehamibrahim.com | School School of Visual Arts, New York City; www.sva.edu | Instructors Steven Heller, Lita Talarico, Deborah Hussey, Willy Wong, Anthony D’Avella, Zack Yorke, Brian Collins, Lee Maschemeyer, Bobby Martin, Jennifer Kinon, Frank Martinez, Fred Kahl, Dave Mowers, Ada Whitney, Tommy Shull | Details Ibrahim created this outdoor dance fitness program for her MFA Design Entrepreneurship thesis. The QWRKOUT book showcases the visual strategy, typeface design, market opportunity and more.
13. Title Self-Promo | Student Faith East; www.faitheast.com | Instructor Claire Gipson | School Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS; www.msstate.edu | Details The guide in this self-promo offers a number of tips and sizing to make things easier for designers.
14. Title Shelter | Student Lucy Weigard; www.lucyweigard.com | Instructors Abby Bennett, Bryan Satalino | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details The assignment was to create a lyric book for a song. The song “Shelter” by Eisley is about relying on someone else when you’re not strong enough.
15. Title The Maine Light | Student Alex Rehoric, www.alexrehoricdesign.com | Instructors Dustin Summers, Kelly Holohan | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details The Maine Line is a historical, self-guided sailing tour that directs only the true sailors on an adventure up the coast of Maine.
16. Title Woodstock Stout | Students Madeleine McMichael, www.madeleinemcmichael.com; with contributions by Austen Hart, www.austenhart.com | Instructor Paul Sheriff | School Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia; http://tyler.temple.edu | Details With this fictional craft beer, McMichael wanted to honor the Woodstock Music and Art Fair’s beginnings.
Subscribe to HOW today to get every new issue delivered to your doorstep!
You’ll enjoy our quarterly mag packed with inspiration, career advice and industry insights.