HOW International Design Awards recognizes excellence on a global scale. Our international design competition is the only competition that prominently recognizes winners in its award-winning magazine – HOW Magazine. The Best of Show Winner and Outstanding Achievement winners are featured in an issue with an in-depth article that showcases the award-winning designs and designers alike. Winners span the globe and give readers of HOW magazine a taste of design innovation on an international design scale.
CLOSED-This competition is now closed. Winners will appear in the Spring 2015 issue of HOW. All winners will be notified by email before November 30, 2014.
How to Enter
- All entries must be submitted online.
- Credit all persons involved in the creation of the piece. HOW isn’t responsible for incorrect, illegible or incomplete credit information.
- Describe the objective and results of your entry in 100 words or less and include the description with the Entry Form. (Optional but strongly suggested.)
You may submit up to 5 files per entry (5 MB per file). File formats: *.gif;*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.png;*.pdf;*.mov;*.avi;*.mp4;*.wma. Digital images should be in CMYK format.
We accept payment by credit card or check. Makes checks payable (in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank) to F+W Media, Inc. Payment must accompany entries. Entries received without payment will be disqualified. Entry fees are non-refundable.Credit card charges will appear on your statement as “F+W Contest” and checks will be processed within 30 days of the contest final deadline.
Mail checks to:
HOW International Design Awards
10151 Carver Road, Suite 200
Blue Ash, OH 45242 USA
Early-Bird Deadline: August 15, 2014 Single entry—$75 (stationery systems are counted as single entries) Campaign/Series—$100 (three or more pieces from a single system)* Student Single Entry—$40 Student Campaign/Series—$60 (three or more pieces from a single system)*
- Deadline: September 30, 2014
- Single entry—$85 (stationery systems are counted as single entries)
- Campaign/Series—$110 (three or more pieces from a single system)*
- Student Single Entry—$50
- Student Campaign/Series—$70 (three or more pieces from a single system)*
*A campaign is a single project involving multiple components that are all developed and designed at the same time as part of a cohesive set.
All early-bird entries must be registered online no later than 11:59 p.m. EST, August 15, 2014. The regular deadline is September 30, 2014. Fees will increase by $10 per entry after the early-bird deadline.
By submitting work and entry fees, entrants acknowledge HOW’s right to reproduce images of their work in the 2015 HOW Design Annual and showcase the winners on HOW’s website, print materials, related digital products and display the projects at HOW events.
HOW assumes all entries are original and are the works and property of the entrant, with all rights granted therein.
HOW is not liable for any copyright infringement on the part of the entrant and will not become involved in copyright disputes.
What To Enter
Work must have been created between September 2, 2013 and September 15, 2014.
Campaign examples include:
- A set of posters and brochure that promote an entire theater season
- A group of related product packages that includes different flavor variations OR a packaging system that includes multiple formats like cans, bottles and boxes
- An identity for a retail store that includes business cards, hang tags and shopping bags
Designs may be entered in multiple categories and are considered separate entries. Submit a separate entry form, samples (images) and payment for each category.
- Packaging (consumer goods)
- 3D Objects (t-shirts, tote bags, calendars, etc.)
- Invitations/announcements/greeting cards
- Identity (logos/ letterhead/business cards)
- Editorial (single article or entire publication/book)
- Covers & Jackets
- Annual reports/brochures/catalogs/direct mail
- Advertising (interactive or printed)
- Signage/Environmental Graphics
- Apps/Tablet Design
- Kiosks/Interactive Exhibits
- Video (commericals, short films, viral video, educational/instructional, motion graphics)
- Web & Blog Design
- Miscellaneous (style guides, complex promos, etc.)
- Student Work
Multi-media campaigns that do not have one overriding category should be entered in the “Miscellaneous” category.
- All Outstanding Achievement winners and the Best of Show winner will be featured in the 2015 HOW International Design Annual issue and will be showcased in our online design competition gallery.
- The Best of Show winner will win free airfare, hotel and registration to HOW Design Live 2015.
- All Outstanding Achievement winners will receive $100 off the registration fee for HOW Design Live 2015.
Don’t miss this incredible opportunity. ENTER TODAY!
HOW will notify winners by November 30, 2014 after judging is complete. Winners will appear in the Spring 2015 issue. The online gallery will be released in May 2015.
If you have additional questions, e-mail us at HOWemail@example.com.
Don’t take it from us, hear what past HOW International Design Competition winners have to say. For a complete list of winners, visit our online Awards Gallery.
From the 2013 HOW International Design Competition Best Of Show Winner: MyBurger, Bruce Edwards, FAME chief creative officer
Why did you enter the 2013 HOW International Design Competition?
We like the recognition, but for us, it’s bigger than that. It’s about inspiring others. We’re proud of the work we’re doing, and want to be featured in publications like HOW—the ones that go “missing” around design offices everywhere. It means others see the value in what we do. It’s a compliment.
Any positive outcomes of having won Best of Show?
Winning the HOW International Competition Best of Show was a big deal for us – definitely all-agency-toast-worthy. But it also gave us something fun to share with clients and prospects. Working with an award-winning agency makes them look smart too.