HOW International Design Awards recognizes excellence on a global scale. Our international design competition is the only competition that prominently recognizes winners in its award-winning magazine – HOW Magazine. The Best of Show Winner and Outstanding Achievement winners are featured in an issue with an in-depth article that showcases the award-winning designs and designers alike. Winners span the globe and give readers of HOW magazine a taste of design innovation on an international design scale.
Enter the HOW International Design Awards and you too could see your designs published in HOW magazine alongside the best in the world.
How to Enter
- You can either enter online or by mail using the offline entry form.
- Credit all persons involved in the creation of the piece. HOW isn’t responsible for incorrect, illegible or incomplete credit information.
- Describe the objective and results of your entry in 100 words or less and include the description with the Entry Form. (Optional but strongly suggested.)
If entering online: You may submit up to 5 images per entry (5 MB per photo). File formats: *.gif;*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.png;*.pdf;*.mov;*.avi;*.mp4;*.wma.
If entering by mail: Type or print the offline entry form completely. This information will be reproduced in the magazine exactly as submitted if you are selected as a winner. Send 2 well-protected unmounted samples. No slides or digital images please. Securely attach a copy of the entry form to the back of each sample of your entry. Include 2 copies of the Payment Form with your payment.
If you wish to be notified of the receipt of your entry, please ship your entries via a method that can be tracked through the shipper (Ex. FedEx, UPS, USPS Priority). No entries will be returned.
We accept payment by credit card or check. Makes checks payable (in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank) to F+W Media, Inc. Payment must accompany entries. Entries received without payment will be disqualified. Entry fees are non-refundable. One check may be used to cover multiple entries if all entries are submitted in the same package. Credit card charges will appear on your statement as “F+W Contest” within 90 days of the contest deadline.
HOW International Design Awards
8469 Blue Ash Road, Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45236 USA
- Extended Entry Deadline: September 27, 2013
- Single entry—$85 (stationery systems are counted as single entries)
- Campaign/Series—$110 (three or more pieces from a single system)*
- Student Single Entry—$55
- Student Campaign/Series—$75 (three or more pieces from a single system)*
*A campaign is a single project involving multiple components that are all developed and designed at the same time as part of a cohesive set.
All entries must be registered online or postmarked no later than September 27, 2013. Online entries must be completed before 11:59 p.m. EST.
By submitting work and entry fees, entrants acknowledge HOW’s right to reproduce images of their work in the 2014 HOW Design Annual and showcase the winners on HOW’s website, print materials, related digital products and display the projects at HOW events.
HOW assumes all entries are original and are the works and property of the entrant, with all rights granted therein.
HOW is not liable for any copyright infringement on the part of the entrant and will not become involved in copyright disputes.
What To Enter
Work must have been created between September 2, 2012 and September 16, 2013.
- A set of posters and brochure that promote an entire theater season
- A group of related product packages that includes different flavor variations OR a packaging system that includes multiple formats like cans, bottles and boxes
- An identity for a retail store that includes business cards, hang tags and shopping bags
Designs may be entered in multiple categories and are considered separate entries. Submit a separate entry form, samples (images) and payment for each category.
- Packaging (consumer goods)
- Gifts (t-shirts, tote bags, calendars, 3D promos, etc.)
- Invitations/announcements/greeting cards
- Identity (logos/ letterhead/business cards)
- Editorial-(cover, single article or entire piece)
- Annual reports/brochures/catalogs/direct mail
- Miscellaneous (style guides, complex promos, etc.)
- Student Work
Multi-media campaigns that do not have one overriding category should be entered in the “Miscellaneous” category.
- All Outstanding Achievement winners and the Best of Show winner will be featured in the 2014 HOW Design Annual issue and will be showcased in our online design competition gallery.
- The Best of Show winner will win free airfare, hotel and registration to HOW Design Live 2014.
- All Outstanding Achievement winners will receive $100 off the registration fee for HOW Design Live 2014.
Don’t miss this incredible opportunity. ENTER TODAY!
HOW will notify winners by November 30, 2013 after judging is complete. Winners will appear in the March 2014 issue. The online gallery will be released in April 2014.
We’ve got three of the biggest, most widely-recognized names in design judging this year’s competition!
If you have additional questions, e-mail us at HOWfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t take it from us, hear what past HOW International Design Competition winners have to say. For a complete list of winners, visit our online Awards Gallery.
From the 2013 HOW International Design Competition Best Of Show Winner: MyBurger, Bruce Edwards, FAME chief creative officer
Why did you enter the 2013 HOW International Design Competition?
We like the recognition, but for us, it’s bigger than that. It’s about inspiring others. We’re proud of the work we’re doing, and want to be featured in publications like HOW—the ones that go “missing” around design offices everywhere. It means others see the value in what we do. It’s a compliment.
Any positive outcomes of having won Best of Show?
Winning the HOW International Competition Best of Show was a big deal for us – definitely all-agency-toast-worthy. But it also gave us something fun to share with clients and prospects. Working with an award-winning agency makes them look smart too.