Early-Bird Deadline: August 12, 2016
HOW International Design Awards recognizes excellence on a global scale—and every year, hundreds of winners get international exposure in the award-winning HOW magazine. Canada, Mexico, Israel, Italy, Germany, Australia, Brazil, the U.K., the U.S. … No matter where in the world you reside, entries are judged by project type rather than industry or region. That means posters are up against posters, packaging against packaging, identity design against—you get the point. And design students are invited to earn some bragging rights via taking home a win in the students-only category. So be a part of the celebration of international design and enter your best work today. We hope to see you among this year’s winners.
You can manage an existing entry HERE
- 2-page spread in HOW magazine’s Spring 2017 issue
- Free trip to HOW DESIGN LIVE 2017, including round-trip airfare, hotel and conference registration
- Award to be presented at HOW DESIGN LIVE
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AND MERIT WINNERS
- Work featured in HOW magazine’s Spring 2017 issue
- $100 discount on any HOW Design Live 2017 registration
- Announced in an article on HOWDesign.com, in HOW’s eNewsletter, and on social media
- Work featured in online gallery on HOWDesign.com
- Exclusive Digital Seal and press release template to promote your win
- Work featured in HOW magazine’s Spring 2017 issue
- Complimentary copy of HOW magazine’s Spring 2017 issue
HOW will notify the winners by December, 31 2016, after judging is complete.
- Packaging (consumer goods)
- 3D Objects (t-shirts, tote bags, calendars, etc.)
- Invitations/announcements/greeting cards
- Identity (logos/ letterhead/business cards)
- Editorial (single article or entire publication/book)
- Covers & Jackets
- Annual reports/brochures/catalogs/direct mail
- Advertising (interactive or printed)
- Signage/Environmental Graphics
- Apps/Tablet Design
- Kiosks/Interactive Exhibits
- Video (commericals, short films, viral video, educational/instructional, motion graphics)
- Web & Blog Design
- Miscellaneous (style guides, complex promos, etc.)
- Student Work
Mona Patel is a dynamic, engaging entrepreneur with 17 years experience convincing leaders at some of the world’s biggest brands to understand, value and optimize their customers’ experiences. She is the author of the bestseller, Reframe: Shift the Way You Work, Innovate, and Think, which inspires others and offers an actionable roadmap for ideation, and is the founder/CEO of Motivate, a user experience (UX) research, design and staffing agency with clients including Chick-Fil-A, Carter’s, Tumblr, E*Trade, MTV, Victoria’s Secret & Jet.com. [Listen to Patel talk about using design thinking to solve any business problem.]
Magnus Berg is creative director and co-founder of Snask, an internationally famous creative agency that conceives kick-ass brands, design and film. Their name means candy, filth and gossip, and everywhere they travel they make enemies and millions of fans. [Learn more about Snask in this piece from Armin Vit.]
Sagi Haviv is a partner and designer at Chermayeff & Geismar & Haviv. Among the over 50 identity programs he has designed are the logos for the Library of Congress, CFA Institute, Harvard University Press, Conservation International, Women’s World Banking, and Armani Exchange. Sagi joined the firm in 2003 after graduating from The Cooper Union School of Art. He teaches Visual Identity Design at The School of Visual Arts in New York City. Sagi is coauthor of Identify: Basic Principles of Identity Design in the Iconic Trademarks of Chermayeff & Geismar (Print Publishers, 2011). [Check out the most brilliant quotes from Haviv’s talk at the most recent HOW Design Live.]
How to enter
- Entries must be entered online.
- You may submit up to 10 files per entry (10 MB per file). File formats for digital images include: .jpg and .jpeg only (do not submit .png, .pdf, .tif or .gif files) in RGB color mode no smaller than 3 inches for the shortest dimension at 300 dpi. Larger dimensions are preferred for detail and cropping. If the entry is a website, please include screen captures or still images based on the size and file format specifications above for production in the magazine.If the entry is a video, file formats include: .mov; .avi; .mp4; .wma. Please include screen captures or still images based on the size and file format specifications above for production in the magazine.
- Credit all persons involved in the creation of the piece. HOW isn’t responsible for incorrect, illegible or incomplete credit information.
- Release date of submission must fall between September 1, 2015 and this competition’s final deadline.
- Describe the objective and results of your entry in 100 words or less and include the description on the entry form.
- For more information including project delivery methods see Preparing You Entry.
We accept all major credit cards or you may pay with a check or money order. Make checks payable (in U.S. funds) to F+W Media, Inc. and send to the address below. Entries received without payment will be disqualified. Entry fees are nonrefundable. One check may be used to cover multiple entries. -See Pricing and Deadlines
HOW International Design Awards-Payment Center
10151 Carver Road, Suite 200
Blue Ash, OH 45242 USA
Do you want to check out the winners from past competitions? Click here
To receive occasional updates on deadlines, when winners are announced and other design competitions information, sign up for the Design Competition Email.