Out of HOW’s design competitions (launched in 1988), this is HOW’s longest running design competition and the only awards program that specifically recognizes outstanding promotion design work — whether it’s a self-promo to showcase a design firm’s capabilities, a project that touts a client’s goods or services, an announcement for a major life event, or professional or student designer’s résumé or design portfolio.
Promotion & Marketing Design Awards celebrates design work that’s engaging, memorable and effective at moving the viewer toward action. Let us celebrate your marketing and promotional design skills.
THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.
HOW TO ENTER
- You can either enter online or by mail using the offline entry form.
- Credit all persons involved in the creation of the piece. HOW isn’t responsible for incorrect, illegible or incomplete credit information.
- Describe the objective and results of your entry in 100 words or less and include the description with the Entry Form. (Optional but strongly suggested.)
If entering online: You may submit up to 5 images per entry (2 MB per photo).
If entering by mail: Type or print the offline entry form completely. This information will be reproduced in the magazine exactly as submitted if you are selected as a winner. Send 2 well-protected unmounted samples. No slides or digital images please. Securely attach a copy of the entry form to the back of each sample of your entry. Include 2 copies of the Payment Form with your payment.
Make checks payable (in U.S. funds) to F+W Media, Inc. Payment must accompany entries. Entries received without payment will be disqualified. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
HOW Promotion Design Awards
8469 Blue Ash Road, Suite 100
Cincinnati, OH 45236 USA
If you wish to be notified of the receipt of your entry, please enclose a self-addressed, stamped postcard.
Early-Bird deadline: February 22, 2013 Single Entry — $70 (stationery systems are counted as single entries) Campaign — $95 (three or more pieces from a single campaign) Student Single Entry** — $40 Student Campaign** —$60 (three or more pieces from a single campaign)
- Final deadline: April 8, 2013
- Single Entry — $110 (stationery systems are counted as single entries)
- Campaign — $135 (three or more pieces from a single campaign)
- Student Single Entry** — $80
- Student Campaign** —$100 (three or more pieces from a single campaign)
USE Promo Code: HPR1320 for an additional 20% off entry!
**Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about our new class rate.
All entries must be submitted and postmarked no later than February 22, 2013 (11:59 pm EST) to receive the special early bird entry fee. Entries submitted after February 22 must add a fee of $40 per entry to the early bird pricing. Entries submitted after
March 25, 2013 April 8, 2013, will not be accepted.
By submitting work and entry fees, entrants acknowledge HOW’s right to reproduce images of their work and showcase the winners in HOW’s 2013 Self-Promotion Design Annual issue, on HOW’s website, print materials, related digital products and display the projects at HOW events.
HOW assumes all entries are original and are the works and property of the entrant, with all rights granted therein.
HOW is not liable for any copyright infringement on the part of the entrant and will not become involved in copyright disputes.
- BEST OF SHOW scores a FREE TRIP to the 2014 HOW DESIGN LIVE CONFERENCE (round-trip airfare, hotel and conference registration) and an award to be presented at the conference.
- All Winners will see their work in HOW’s OCTOBER 2013 SELF-PROMOTION DESIGN ANNUAL and get a $100 discount to the 2014 HOW Design Live Conference.
HOW will notify winners by October 2013, after judging is complete. No entries will be returned.
We accept actual samples of annual reports, brochures, catalogs, direct mail, book and magazine covers and interior pages, invitations, announcements, greeting cards, letterhead, logos, packaging, posters, print advertising, calendars, wearables, 3D objects and other print projects. We also accept color print-outs of workspaces, signage and other environmental graphic design. NEW! We are now accepting copywriting, scripts, interactive projects, video, advertising (radio, TV, print, etc.). Designs may be entered in more than one category. Submit a separate entry and fee for each category. Work must have been created between Feb. 22, 2012, and March 25, 2013.
- CLIENT PROMOTIONS: created for paying customers (brochures, annual reports, ads, corporate identities, etc.)
- DESIGNER SELF- PROMOTIONS: created to promote your design business
- PERSONAL PROMOTIONS: created to celebrate life events (invitations, birth announcements, etc.)
- PRO-BONO PROMOTIONS: created for free or at a discounted rate
- ILLUSTRATOR PROMOTIONS: created for illustrators (not just work that includes illustration)
- PHOTOGRAPHER PROMOTIONS: created for photographers (not just work that includes photography)
- STUDENT PROMOTIONS: created while you were in school (whether you’ve graduated or not)
- MISCELLANEOUS PROMOTIONS: created for purpose other than those above
For more information or to view past winners, visit the Promotion & Marketing Winners Gallery.