I interviewed Jenny Poff recently about her experience last year and CFC and why she’s so excited about coming back this year (in San Francisco, June 22-24 — early bird deadline is March 15. Details here.)
She has since posted the whole story on her blog, along with the list of what she accomplished in the 7 months since then — to show what is possible once you are clear on what you’re doing and why!
At CFC, there were plenty of great speakers that drove my motivation and CLARITY as well as great networking with other solo creative business owners. I left there feeling inspired and energized to make something happen, plus I had an accountability partner to help make sure I didn’t slack off.
Since the conference, I have:
- Refined all my contracts, terms and conditions, proposal structure, etc.
- Created a customer pre-qualification survey.
- I really analyzed what kind of work I did and organized it into what I do well vs. what I want to do.
- From that, I was able to narrow down my area of specialty. I fought with this one for a while because as a designer what do you specialize? I didn’t want to say I do “just logos” or “just brochures”. So I focused on industries. Immediately I thought since I already do real estate marketing lets just focus on finding other real estate companies. But that didn’t work either. I didn’t want to work for competitors of Marsh and working for real estate companies outside of my community posed challenges such as: not knowing their community, not understanding their business culture, and not wanting to hand hold on something like photography.
- Karma brought me a new business to help rebrand and launch their brick and mortar store. For them I not only did their logo and ads, but designed their retail store as well. Including painting a mural and 2 canvases to define their niche.
- I recreated my website and focused on the content (though that doesn’t seem to end – which is good because new content drives traffic!)
- I created my perfect pitch, “I help independent business owners take control of their marketing to generate powerful results.” Though I’m still working on that one – I think the word “marketing” is a bit vague. (listen to my podcast interview with Ilise Benun of Marketing Mentor)
- I added team members or sub contractors to my business. (About us)
- With this team, we have built new solutions to offer to independent business owners like: Marketing Brand Strategy Development, Social Media Management Solutions, Launching Kits for new business, products, and/or services. We’re just now working on the marketing materials.
- I set the goal that I want to start public speaking. I have since started some webinars and independent consulting to sm. biz owners. And I’ve been asked to speak at a women’s conference this fall.
- I wanted an accountability person or group that would hold me accountable – so I started the DESIGNERS ROUNDTABLE.
So now what?
I’m busy. Busy with new clients, busy with previous clients, busy with family, busy being the Girl Scout Daisy Troop leader, busy with DESIGNERS ROUNDTABLE — why do I do it all? I love every part! I love being my own boss so I can control how my life works and grows.