No matter where in the world you reside, entries in the HOW International Design Awards are judged by project type rather than industry or region. That means posters are up against posters, packaging against packaging, identity design against—you get the point. Believe in your work and enter by the early-bird deadline, August 14.
At a time when official movie poster reveals are arguably as exciting as opening weekends, it’s no wonder so many creatives are carving out time to create their own alternative movie posters—whether for a client, for self-promotion or just for fun. Similarly, it’s no wonder we can’t help but drool over all the beautiful illustrated and painterly work we’ve seen lately.
That’s why we’ve rounded up 20 of our favorite unofficial posters below. You may not have seen these illustrated posters in the wild during the respective film’s marketing campaign days, but they’re just as fun to look at now.
20 Unofficial Illustrated Movie Posters We Love
1. Baby Driver Self-Promotional Poster by Sam Gilbey
2. A Just-for-Fun Poster for The Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 by Matt Ferguson
3. Prometheus Poster by Gabz for Grey Matter Art
4. Pulp Fiction Poster by Marie Bergeron for a Group Commission
5. Teen Wolf Private Commission by Sam Gilbey
6. Apocalypse Now Poster by Sebastian Onufszak
7. Self-Initiated Poster for The Silence of the Lambs by Gabz
8. The Force Awakens Self-Promo Piece by Sam Gilbey
9. Logan-Inspired Poster Created by Marie Bergeron
10. Alternative Poster for The Fly by Aleksander Walijewski
11. Time Bandits Poster by Rich Kelly for Mondo
12. Privately Commissioned Aladdin Poster by Tom Miatke
13. Alternative Poster for Cube by Aleksander Walijewski
14. Lord of the Rings Poster by Tom Miatke for Hero Complex Gallery
15. Dead Poet’s Society Private Poster Commission by Sam Gilbey
16. Alternative Poster for Jacob’s Ladder by Aleksander Walijewski
17. Finding Nemo Poster by Tom Miatke for Hero Complex Gallery
18. Alternative Poster for Psycho by Aleksander Walijewski
19. Alternative Poster for Big Significant Things by Gabz
20. Total Recall Poster by Matt Ferguson for Grey Matter Art
Designers, photographers, writers—learn how to take advantage of your intellectual property and talent in a whole new way by creating passive income streams for yourself. This extra revenue can help reduce the stress of client work and create new opportunities.
Enroll in this HOW Design University workshop today for $39.99. Runs Aug. 7–Sept. 11.