Get essential tips and advice from the brightest minds in the design industry delivered to your desktop in a design workshop. Tune into our Design Workshops, presented by industry experts and noted consultants. We realize the busy schedule of designers, so all of our workshops are ondemand and are typically open for 1 week. You can access the workshops at any time during that week, plus you get an additional 6 months read-only access to the workshop videos and material.
When: Aug. 1 – 14
Today, Social Media is one the most utilized forms of communication we have. It is also one of the broadest, while also being the most direct. You can reach a large audience while at the same time having target access to individuals you could never reach otherwise.
For a designer, this means you can reach potential clients or employers as well as influencers in your industry. There is also the potential to become an influencer in your industry by leveraging social media tools. This can seem a bit overwhelming on top of managing your clients and actually doing your design work, but it is an extremely important marketing tool.
This workshop is a combination of 2 of our most popular social media workshops – Leveraging Social Media as a Designer and Effectively Integrate Social Media in your Website. These 2 popular workshops combine to bring you insight into how to use social media both as a marketing tool and as a way to improve interact with your audience. We will show you how you can use the various social media platforms effectively in your career.
In Leveraging Social Media as a Designer, you’ll learn:
- Why Social Media Matters for Designers
- Which Social Media Platforms to Focus On
- How to treat social media as more than a tool to drive traffic
- Using a Affiliate Marketing to Build Passive Income
- About five areas you can leverage to better integrate social media with your website
- How to create an online ecosystem that builds relationships
When: Aug. 11 – 17
Many creatives, whether they are designers, photographers or writers, often find themselves stressed with the need to find enough clients to support their income. By learning about how to creative passive income streams for themselves, they can take advantage of their intellectual property and talent in a whole new way. This extra revenue can help reduce the stress of client work and create new opportunities.
In How Creatives Can Make Passive Income Online, you’ll learn:
- What is Passive Income?
- Does Passive Income Really Work?
- Creating Passive Income by Monetizing content
- Using a Affiliate Marketing to Build Passive Income
- Making Passive Income from Your Own Products
- Resources and References for Getting Started
When: Aug. 20 – Sept. 3
Design firm Lemonly shares how to create eye-catching microcontent for your social media posts. You’ll discover what microcontent is, why it’s important, and how to take existing infographics and promotional designs and create them as smaller-sized content for social media sharing.
In Creating & Using Microcontent for Social Media, you’ll learn:
- What is microcontent
- Why microcontent for social media sharing is important
- How to make microcontent for different social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Snap Chat
When: Aug. 22 – Sept. 4
This workshop combines our very popular infographics workshops – Creating Great Infographics and Infographics: Data, Design Distribute into one very informative workshop.
In How to Use Visual Language to Create Infographics, you’ll learn:
- What kind of information makes sense to visualize and why
- How to develop a system for communicating your message
- How to make aesthetic decisions about iconography and set the correct tone
- Key elements of a successful infographic
- Value or an analytic look at the impact of a successful infographic
- The recipe plus resources and tips on how to start making your own infographics
- Step-by-step guide to creating graphs in Adobe Illustrator
When: Aug. 25 – 31
This workshop is a collection of our very popular branding workshop series with Marcia Hoeck and Ed Roach: Common Mistakes Designers Make with Branding and How to Fix Them, How to Position Yourself as a Branding Expert and How to Talk About Branding.
In How to Become a Branding Expert, you’ll learn:
- The 3 biggest mistakes designers make with branding
- How these mistakes are seriously limiting your earning potential
- How to make money with branding before the design work even begins
- How to use branding as a springboard to additional important graphic design work
- How to make your branding work more accepted by the client while making the design process easier for you
- Why it’s so difficult to position your firm, and how you can get over it
- What positioning has to do with confidence
- How narrowing your positioning will open doors instead of close them for you
- What qualifies you as an expert, anyway?
- What you need to know about branding to be believable in that positioning
- How to present your branding expertise without feeling icky or salesy
When: Aug. 29 – Sept. 4
If you are a designer looking to add web design to your repertoire, then this workshop is for you. This workshop is part 1 or a 2 part workshop.
Web Design for Beginners: Web 101 (Lesson 1)
If you don’t know a CMS from CSS, start here. When you’re a print designer starting to work online, the language of web design can feel totally foreign. This workshop will give you a fundamental understanding of how the web works and give you the vocabulary you need to work with web developers.
In lesson one, you’ll learn:
- The technological basis of the web
- How websites work
- Basic web vocabulary
Web Design for Beginners: Designing for the Web (Lesson 2)
Design’s all about communication, no matter what medium you’re working in. You already have design skills — now you just need to learn the limits and advantages of the web to become an effective web designer. This lesson will explain how web design works.
In lesson two, you’ll learn:
- How your design skills transfer to the web
- How content management systems work
- The rules and conventions of web design
- Where to go to find inspiration for web design