Printing Terms

This helpful list of printing terms is excerpted from Getting It Printed ( Before you dig deeper, it’s important to start by understanding these printing basics. When you’re ready to take your knowledge to the next level, start by exploring

Acid free paper: Paper made from pulp containing little to no acid so it resists deterioration from age. Also called archival paper.

Additive color: Color produced by light falling onto a surface. The additive primary colors are red, green and blue.

Against the grain: At right angles to the grain direction of the paper being used. Also called across the grain and cross grain.

Antique finish: Roughest finish offered on offset paper.

Aqueous coating: Coating in water base and applied like ink be a printing press to protect and enhance the printing underneath.

Archival paper: Alternate term for acid-free paper.

Backup: Printing on one side of a page that must align correctly with priting on the other side.

Basis weight: In the U.S. and Canada, the weight, in pounds, of a ream (500 sheets) of paper cut to the basic size. Also called ream weight and substance weight (sub weight). In countries using ISO paper sizes, the weight, in grams, of one square meter of paper. Also called grammage and ream weight.

Blade coating: Method of coating paper that ensures a relatively thick covering and level surface, as compared to film coating. Also called knife coating. Gloss, dull and matte papers are blade coated.

Blanket: Rubber-coated pad, mounted on a cylinder of an offset press, that receives the inked image from the plate and transfers it to the surface to be printed.

Bleed: Printing that extends to the edge of a sheet or page after trimming.

Blueline: Prepress proof where all colors show as blue images on white paper. Also a generic term for proofs made from a variety of materials.

Board Paper:  General term for paper over 110# index, 80# cover or 200 gsm that is commonly used for products such as file folders. Displays and postcards. Also called paperboard.

Body Stock: Paper on which the text or main part of a publication is printed, as compared to cover stock

Bond Paper: category of paper used for writing, printing and photocopying. Also called business paper, communication paper and writing paper.

Book Paper: category of paper suitable for books, magazines, catalogs, advertising and general printing needs. Book paper is divided into uncoated paper (also called offset paper) and coated paper (also called art paper, enamel paper, gloss paper and slick paper).

Brightness: Measure of light reflected from paper

Bristol Paper: General term referring to paper six points or thicker with basis weight between 90# and 200#. Used for products such as index cards, file folders and displays.

Broken Carton: Carton of paper from which some of the sheets have been sold. Also called less carton.

Build: a color to overlap two or more screen tints to get a new color. Such overlap is called a build, color build or tint build.

Bulk: thickness of paper relative to its basis weight.

Bulking Dummy: dummy assembled from the actual paper specified for a printing job.

Burst Perfect Bind: to bind by forcing glue into notches along the spines of gathered signatures before affixing a paper cover. Also called burst bind, notch bind or slotted bind.

Calendar: to make the surface of paper smooth by pressing it between the rollers during manufacturing.

Caliper: thickness of paper or other substrate expressed in thousandths of an inch (mils or points), pages per inch (ppi), thousandths of a millimeter (microns), or pages per centimeter (ppc).

Carton: selling unit of paper weighing approximately 150 pounds (60 kilos). A carton can contain anywhere from 500 to 5,000 sheets, depending on the size of the sheets and their basis weights.

Case: covers the spine that, as a unit, encloses the pages of a casebound book.

Case Bind: to bind using the glue to hold signatures to a case made of binder board covered with fabric, plastic or leather. Also called cloth bind.

Cast Coated Paper: High gloss, coated paper made by pressing the paper against a polished, hot, metal drum while the coating is still wet.

Chipboard: solid, not corrugated, cardboard

Chroma: strength of a color as compared to how close it seems to neutral gray. Also called depth, intensity, purity and saturation.

CMYK: abbreviation for cyan, magenta, yellow and key (black), the process colors.

Coated Paper: paper with a coating of clay and other substances that improves reflectivity and ink holdout.

Color Balance: refers to amounts of process colors that simulate the colors of the original scene or photograph

Color Cast: unwanted color affecting an entire image

Color Control Bar: strip of small blocks of color on a proof or press sheet to help evaluate features such as density, grain and dot grain.

Color Correct: to adjust the relationship among the process colors t achieve desirable colors.

Color Curves: instructions in software that allow users to change or correct colors. Also called HLS and HVS tables.

Color Gamut: the entire range of hues possible to reproduce using a specific device or process.

Color Matching System: System of numbered ink swatches that facilitate communication about color.

Color Separation: 1. Technique of using a camera, scanner or computer to divide contiguous tone color images into four halftone negatives. 2. The film, proof or printed product resulting from color separating.

Color Sequence: Order in which inks are printed. With process colors, the sheetfed sequence is often black first, then magenta, cyan and yellow last. The web sequence is often cyan, magenta, yellow, with black either first or last. Also called laydown sequence or rotation.

Color Shift: Change in image color resulting from changes in register, ink densities or dot grain.

Comb Bind: To bind by inserting the teeth of a flexible plastic comb through the holes punched along the edge of a stack of paper. Also called GBC bind.

Composition: the arrangement of type, graphics and other elements on the page.

Comprehensive Dummy: Simulation of a printed piece complete with type, graphics and other elements on the page.

Condition: To keep paper in the pressroom for a few hours or days before printing so tat its moisture level and temperature level equal that in the pressroom. Also called cure, mature and season.

Corrugated Board: Board made by sandwiching fluted kraft paper between sheets of paper or cardboard. Used for making boxes.

Cover Paper: Category of thick paper used for products such as posters, menus, folders and covers of paperback books.

Creep: Phenomenon of middle pages of a folded signature extending slightly beyond outside pages. Also called feathering, out push, push out and thrust.

Crop Marks: Lines near the edge of an image indicating portions to be reproduced. Also called cut marks and tick marks.

Cut Sizes: Paper sizes used with office machines and small presses.

Cyan: One of the four process colors.

Deboss: To press an image into paper so it lies below the surface.

Deckle Edge: Edge of paper left ragged as it comes from the papermaking machine instead of being cleanly cut. Also called featheredge.

Density: 1. Regarding ink, the relative thickness of a layer of printed ink. 2. Regarding color, the relative ability of a color to absorb light reflected from it or block light passing through it.

Device Independent Color: Hues identified by wavelength or by their place in systems such as those developed by CIE. ‘Device Independent’ means a color can be described and specified regardless of how it is reproduced.

Die Cut: To cut irregular shapes in paper or paperboard using a die.

Display Type: Type larger than 14 points.

Doctor Blade: Flexible metal strip on a gravure press that controls the thickness of ink.

Dot Area: refers to the percentage of ink coverage that a screen tint allows to print. Also called screen percentage.

Dot Grain: Phenomenon of halftone dots printing larger on paper than they are on films and plates.

Dots-Per-Inch: Measure of resolution of input devices such as scanners and output devices such as laser printers and imagesetters. Abbreviated DPI.

Double Black Duotone: Duotone printed from two halftones, one exposed for highlights and the other for midtones and shadows.

Doubling: Printing flaw created by slight bounce of blanket against paper.

Drawdown: Sample of inks specified for a job applied to the substrate specified for a job. Also called pulldown.

Drop Out: Halftone dots or fine lines eliminated from highlights by overexposure during camera work. The lost copy is said to have dropped out.

Dry Trap: To print over dry ink, as compared to wet trap.

Dual-Purpose Bond Paper:  Bond paper suitable for printing by either lithography or xerography. Abbreviated DP Bond Paper.

Dull Finish: Flat (not glossy) finish on coated paper; slightly smoother than matte. Also called suede and velvet.

Dummy: Simulation of the final product. Also called mock-up.

Duplex Paper: Thick paper made by pasting together two thinner sheets, usually of different colors. Also called double faced paper and two-tone paper.

Dynamic Range: Practical limit of a scanner or presto capture or reproduce an image.

Emboss: To press an image into paper so it lies above the surface. Also called cameo and tool.

End Sheet: Sheet that attaches the inside pages of a case bound book to is cover.

English Finish: Smooth finish on uncoated book paper; smoother than eggshell, rougher than smooth.

Engraving: Printing method using a plate, also called a die, with an image cut into its surface.

Feeding Unit: Component of a printing press that moves paper into the register unit.

Felt Finish: Soft woven pattern in text paper.

Felt Side: Side of the paper that does not make contact with the Fourdrinier wire during papermaking.

Fifth Color: Spot color run in addition to process color.

Film Coating: Method of coating paper that leaves a relatively thin covering and rough surface as compared to blade covering.

Fine Papers: Papers made of specifically for writing and printing.

Finish: 1. Surface characteristics of paper. 2. General term for trimming, folding, folding, binding and all other postpress operations.

Fixed Costs: Costs that remain the same regardless of how many pieces are printed.

Flat Color: Alternate term for spot color.

Flat: Stripped film ready for platemaking.

Flexography: Method of printing on a web press using rubber or soft plates with raised images.

Flood: To print a sheet completely with an ink or varnish.

Foil Stamp: Method of printing that releases foil from its backing when stamped with the heated die. Also called block print.

Font: Complete assortment of uppercase and lowercase characters, numerals, punctuation, and other symbols of one typeface.

Form: each side of a signature. Also spelled forme.

Form Web: Press using rolls 8.5” to 10” wide to print business forms, direct mailers, catalog sheets, stationary and other products whose flat size is typically 8.5” x 11”.

Format: Size, style shape, layout or organization of a layout or printed product.

For Positioning Only: Refers to how inexpensive or low resolution images used to indicate placement and scaling, but not intended for reproduction. Abbreviated FPO.

Four Color Process Printing: Technique of printing that uses black, magenta, cyan and yellow to stimulate full color images. Also called color process printing.

FPO:  Abbreviation for the term for position only.

Free Sheet: Paper made from cooked wood fibers mixed with chemicals and washed free of impurities. Also called woodfree paper.

Full Web: Press using use rolls 35” to 40” wide to print sixteen-page signatures whose flat size is typically 23” x 35”. Also called sixteen-page web.

Gang: 1. To halftone or separate more then one image in only one exposure. 2. To reproduce the tow or more different printed products simultaneously on one sheet of paper during one press run. Also called combination run.

Gathered: Signatures assembled next to each other in the proper sequence for binding. Also called stacked.

Ghosting: Phenomenon of a faint image appearing on a printed sheet where it was not intended to appear. Also, an image appearing too light due to ink starvation.

Grade: General term used to distinguish among printing papers, but whose specific meaning depends on context. Grade can refer to the category, class, rating, finish or brand of purpose.

Graduated Screen Tint:  Screen tint that changes densities gradually and smoothly, not in distinct steps. Also called degrade, gradient, ramped screen and vignette.

Grain Direction: Predominant direction in which fibers become aligned during manufacturing. Also called machine direction.

Grain Long/Short Paper: Paper whose fibers in run parallel to the long/short dimension of the sheet.

Grammage: Basis weight of paper expressed in grams per square meter (gsm).

Graphic Design: Arrangement of time and visual elements along with specifications for paper, ink colors and printing processes that, when combined, convey a visual message.

Gravure: Method of printing using metal cylinders etched with millions of tiny wells that hold ink.

Gray Balance: Printed cyan, magenta and yellow halftone dots that accurately reproduce a neutral grey image.

Gray levels: Number of distinct gray tones that can be captured by a scanner or reproduced by an output device.

Gray Scale: Strip of gray values, ranging from white to black, used to calibrate exposure times for film and plates. Also called step wedge.

Gripper Edge: Edge of a sheet held by grippers on a sheetfed press, thus going first through the press. Also called feeding edge and leading edge.

Groundwood Paper: Newsprint and other inexpensive paper made from pulp created when wood chips are ground mechanically rather than refined by chemicals.

Guillotine Cutter: Large cutting machine whose blade trims paper evenly across a stack of sheets. The blade is brought down from above, hence the term “guillotine”.

Hairline: Subjective term referring to a very small space, thin line or close register.

Half Web: Press using rolls 17” to 20” wide to print eight-page signatures whose flat size is typically 17” x 22”.

Halftone: A photograph or continuous-tone illustration that has been converted to dots for reproduction.

Hard Copy/Proof: Type and images on paper or proofing material.

Heat-Set Web: Web press equipped with an oven to dry ink, thus able to print coated paper.

Hickey: Spot or imperfection in printing, most visible in areas of heavy ink coverage, caused by dirt on the plate or blanket.

High Fidelity Color: Color reproduced using six, eight or twelve separations.

High Key Photo: Photo whose most important details appear in the highlights.

Highlights: Lightest potions of an image.

Histogram: Vertical bar chart showing tonal range in an image.

HLS: Abbreviation for hue, lightness and saturation. Also called HVS.

Holography: Printing method using a laser to emboss images precisely overlaying each other on a thin piece of film to produce a 3D image.

House Sheet: Paper kept in stock by a printer and suitable for a wide variety or printing jobs. Also called floor sheet.

Hue: A specific color such as yellow or green.

Hundredweight: 100 pounds in North America, 112 pounds in the U.K. Abbreviated CWT.

Imagesetter: Laser device for outputting film or plates.

Image Trap: Slight overlapping of images to ensure they appear registered.

Imposition: Arrangement of pages so they will appear in proper sequence after press sheets are folded and bound.

Impression: 1. Referring to an ink color, one impression equals one press sheet passing once through a printing unit. 2. Referring to the speed of a press, one impression equals one press sheet passing once through the press.

Impression cylinder: Cylinder, on a press, that pushes the paper against the plate or blanket, thus forming the image.

Impressions Per hour: Measure of the speed of a printing press. Abbreviated IPH.

Imprint: To print new copy on a previously printed sheet, such as printing an employees name on already printed business cards. Also called subprint.

Ink Balance: Relationship of the densities dot grains of process inks to each other and to a standard density of neutral grey.

Ink Fountain: reservoir, on a printing press, that holds ink,

Ink Holdout: Characteristics of paper that prevents it from absorbing in, thus allowing ink to dry in the surface of the paper. Also called holdout.

Ink Trap: Ink printed over a previously printed image.

Integral Proof: Color proof of separations shown on one piece of proofing paper. Also called laminate proof.

Kerning: Adjusting space between pairs of letters to make them appear better fitted.

Keylines: Lines on a mechanical or negative showing the exact size, shape and location of photographs or other graphic elements. Also called holding lines.

Kiss Die Cut: Die cut through face materials but not backing.

Knockout: Alternate term for reverse.

Kraft Paper: Strong paper used for wrapping and to make grocery bags and large envelopes.

Laid Finish: Finish on board of text paper on which grids of parallel lines simulate the surface of handmade paper.

Lap: Edge of a signature that a machine grips during binding operations.

Laser Bond: Bond paper made especially smooth and dry to run well through laser printers.

Lay-Flat Bind: Method of perfect binding that allows a publication to lie completely open.

Leading: Amount of space between lines of type.

Ledger Paper: Strong smooth bond paper used for keeping business records. Ledger paper is usually sub 28 or 32. Also called record paper.

Legal Paper: North American term for bond paper trimmed 8.5” x 14” sheets/

Legible: Referring to type having sufficient contract with its background that readers can easily perceive the characters.

Letter Paper: In North America, 8.5” x 11” sheets. In Europe, A4 sheets.

Letterpress: Method of printing from metal type and other raised surfaces. Also called block lettering.

Letterspacing: Distance between individual letters. See kerning and tracking.

Lightweight Paper: Book paper with basis weight less than 40#.

Linen Finish: Embossed finish on text paper that simulates the pattern of linen cloth.

Lithography: Method of printing using plates whose image areas attract ink and whose non-image area repels ink. Non-image areas may be coated with water to repel the oily ink or may have a surface, such as silicon that repels ink.

Long Run: Relatively large to print in relation to the size and speed of press used.

Loose Proof: Proof of a halftone or color separation that is not assembled with other elements from a page. Also called first proof, random proof, scatter proof and show-color proof.

M-Weight: Weight of 1,000 sheets of paper in any specific size.

Magenta: One of the four process colors.

Makeready: 1. All activities required to prepare a press or other machines for a specific printing or bindery job. Also called setup. 2. Paper used in the production process at any stage in production.

Making Order: Order for paper that a mill makes to the customers specifications.

Mark Up: To add a percentage to the cost of goods and services obtained for a customer.

Matte Finish: Flat (not glossy) finish on a photographic paper or coated printing paper.

Midtones: Tones created by halftone dots between 30 percent and 70 percent of coverage.

Mill Order: Order for paper that will be filled at a mill, not at a paper merchant from inventory.

Mini Web: Press using rolls 11” x 14” wide to print brochures, newsletters and other products whose flat size is typically 11” x 17”.

Mock-Up: Alternate term for dummy.

Moiré: Undesirable pattern resulting from halftones and screen prints are made with improperly aligned screens, or when a pattern in a photo, such as a plaid, interferes with a halftone dot pattern.

Mottle: Spotty, uneven ink absorption. Also called sinkage. A mottled image may also be called mealy.

Multicolor Printing: Printing in more than one ink color (but not four color process). Also called polychrome printing.

Nested: Signatures assembled inside one another in the proper sequence for binding. Also called inset.

Non-Heatset Web: Web press without a drying oven, thus not able to print on coated paper. Also called cold set web and open web.

Object Oriented Image: Alternative term for vector image.

Off-Shore Sheet: Term used in the US and Canada for paper made overseas.

Offset Printing: Printing technique that transfers ink from a plate onto a blanket to paper instead of directly to paper.

Opacity: 1.Characteristic of paper that prevents printing on one side from showing through to the other. 2. Characteristic of ink that prevents the substrate from showing through.

Overlay Proof: Color proof consisting of clear plastic sheets laid on top of each other with their images in register. Also called layered proof.

Overrun: Quantity printing delivered that is that is more than the quantity ordered.

Overprint: To print one image over a previously printed image such as printing type over a screen tint. Also called subprint.

Page: One side of a leaf in a publication.

Page count: Total number of pages that a publication has. Also called extent.

Page Proof: Proof of type and graphics as they will look on the finished page complete with elements such as heading, rules and folios.

Panel: One page of a brochure, such as one panel of a rack brochure. One panel is on one side of the paper. A letter-folded sheet has six pages.

Parent Sheet: Any sheet larger than 11” x 17” or A3.

Pass: One complete sequence of activities, such as a pass through a manuscript to check spelling or a pass through a press to lay down varnish.

Perfect Bind: To bind sheets that have been ground at the spine and are bound to the cover by glue. Also called adhesive bind, cut-back bind, glue bind, paper bind, patent bind, perfecting bind soft bind and soft cover.

Perfecting Press: Press capable of printing both sides of the paper during a single pass. Also called duplex press and perfector.

Pica: Anglo-American unit of typographic measure equal to .166 inch (4.218mm). One pica has 12 points.

Plate: Piece of paper, metal, plastic or rubber carrying an image to be reproduced using printing press.

Point: 1. Regarding paper, a unit of thickness equaling .001 inch. 2. Regarding type, a unit of measure equaling 1/12 pica and .013875 inch (.351mm).

Portable Document Format: Adobe file format allowing convenient sharing of files between the Internet, prepress devices and other media.

Post Consumer Waste: Paper that has been printed and returned to a mill instead of going to a landfill.

Prepress: Color correcting and separating, platemaking and other functions performed by the printer or prepress service prior to printing.

Preprint: To print portions of sheets that will be used later for imprinting.

Press Check: event at which makeready sheets from the press are examined before authorizing production to begin.

Press Proof: Proof made on press using the plates, ink and paper specified from the job. Also called strike off.

Printer Spreads: Files prepared so they are imposed for printing.

Printing Plate: Surface carrying an image to be printed.

Printing Unit: Assembly of fountain, rollers and cylinders that will print one ink color. Also called color station, deck, ink station, printer, station and tower.

Process Colors: the colors used for four-color process printing: yellow, magenta, cyan and black.

Proof: Test sheet made to reveal errors or flaws, predict results on press and record how a printing job is intended to appear when finished.

Quarter Tones: Tones between shadows and Midtones and between highlight and Midtones.

Reader Spread: Files prepared in two-page spreads, as readers would see the pages.

Ream: 500 sheets of paper.

Ream Marked: Sheets of paper in a carton or on a skid with markers placed every 500th sheet.

Recycled Paper: New paper made entirely or in part from old paper.

Register: To place printing properly with regard to the edges of paper and other printing on the same sheet. Such printing is said to be “in register”.

Register Marks: Cross-hair lines on mechanicals and film that help keep flats, plates and printing in register. Also called crossmarks and position marks.

Repeatability: Ability of a device, such as an imagesetter, to produce film or plates that yield images in register.

Resolution: ability of a device to record or reproduce a sharp image.

Reverse: Type and images reproduced by printing ink around their outline, thus allowing the underlying color of paper to show through and form the image. Also called knockout.

RGB: Abbreviation for red, green, blue, the additive primary colors.

Rule: Line used as a graphic element to separate or organize copy.

Saddle Stitch: To bind by stapling sheets together where they fold at the spine. Also called pamphlet stitch, saddle wire and stitch bind.

Satin Finish: Alternate term for dull finish on coated paper.

Score: To compress paper along a straight line so it folds more easily and accurately. Also called crease.

Screen Printing: Method of printing by using a squeegee to force ink through an assembly mesh fabric and a stencil.

Screen Tint: Color created by dots instead of solid ink coverage, also called fill pattern, shading, tint and tone.

Screw and Post Bind: To bind using a bolt that screws into a post. Bolts and matching posts are available in lengths ranging from ¼ inch to 3 inches.

Scum: Undesirable thin film of ink in non-image areas. Scumming may appear on portions of a sheet or across the entire sheet and results from poor ink/water balance. Also called blush, catch up, haze and toning.

Selective Binding: Placing signatures or inserts in magazines or catalogues according to the demographic or geographic guidelines.

Setoff: Undesirable transfer of wet ink from the top of one sheet to the underside of another as they lie in the delivery stack of a press. Also called offset.

Sheetfed Press: Press that prints sheets of paper.

Sheetwise: Technique of printing one side of a sheet with one set of plates, then the other side with a different set of plates.

Shingling: Allowance made to compensate for creep. Creep is the problem; shingling is the solution. Also called stair stepping and progressive margins.

Short run: Relatively small quantity to print in relation to the size and speed of press used.

Side Stitch: To bind by stapling through sheets along one edge. Also called cheat stitch.

Signature: Printed sheet folded at least once, possibly many times, to become part of a publication.

Soft Copy/Proof: Type and images viewed on a monitor.

Specification: Complete and precise written description of features of a printing job.

Spiral Bind: To bind using a spiral of continuous wire or plastic looped through holes. Also called coil bind.

Spoilage: Paper which must be recycled due to mistakes or accidents.

Spot Color: Any color created by only printing one ink. Also called flat color.

Spread: 1. Technique of slightly enlarging the size of any image to accomplish a trap with another image. 2. Two-page arrangement of copy. See also reader spread and printer spread.

Stochastic Screen: Halftone with dots that vary in placement, not size. Also called FM screen.

Substance Weight: Alternate term for basis weight, usually referring to bond papers. Also called sub weight.

Subtractive Color: Color produced by light reflected from a surface. Subtractive color includes hues in color photos and colors created by ink in papers.

Subtractive Primary Color: Yellow, magenta and cyan. In the graphic arts, these are know as process colors because, along with black, they are the ink color seed in the printing process.

Supercalendered Paper: Groundwood paper calendared using alternating chrome and fiber rollers to produce a smooth, thin sheet for magazines, catalogs and directories. Abbreviated SC paper.

Text Paper: Designation for printing papers with textured surfaces such as laid or linen. Some mills also use text to refer to any paper they consider top-of-the-line, whether or not its surface has a texture.

Thermography: Method of printing using colorless resin powder that takes on the color of underlying ink. Also called raised printing.

Three-Quarter Web: Press using rolls 22” to 27” wide to print eight page signatures whose flat trim size is typically 17” x 22”. Also called eight page webs.

Tonal Range: Difference between the darkest and lightest areas of copy.

Tone Compression: Reduction in the tonal range from original scene to printed reproduction.

Total Area Coverage: Total of the dot percentages of the process colors in the final film. Also called maximum density, total dot density, and total ink coverage.

Tracking: Adjusting space between all letters to make them fit.

Typeface: Design identified by a name such as Helvetica or Times.

Type Style: Characteristic such as bold or italic or roman.

Uncoated Paper: paper that has not been coated with clay. Also called offset paper.

Underrun: Quantity printing delivered that is less than the quantity ordered.

Unit Cost: the cost of one item in a print run is computed by dividing the total cost of the printing job by the quantity of products delivered.

Up: term to indicate multiple copies of one image printed in one impression on a single sheet. Two up means printing the identical piece twice on each sheet.

UV Coating: Liquid applied to a printed sheet, then bonded and cured with ultraviolet light.

Value: the shade (darkness) or tint (lightness) of a color. Also called brightness, lightness shade and tone.

Variable Cost: Costs that change depending on how many pieces are produced.

Varnish: Liquid applied as a coating for protection and appearance.

Vellum Finish: Somewhat rough toothy finish on paper.

Wash Up: to clean ink and fountain solutions from rollers, fountains, screens and other press components.

Watermark: Translucent logo in bond paper created during manufacture.

Web Press: Press that prints from rolls of paper, cutting it into sheets after printing. Also called reel-fed press.

With the Grain: Parallel to the grain direction of the paper being used.

Work and Tumble: To print a sheet so that the same combination of images is printed on both sides using the same set of plates. Work and tumble sues opposite gripper edges.

Work and Turn: To print a sheet so that the same combination of images is printed on both sides of a paper using the same set of plates. Work and turn uses the same gripper edges.

Wove Finish: Somewhat smooth, slightly patterned finish on bond paper.

Wrong Reading: An image that is backwards when compared to the original. Also called Flopped and reverse reading.

For more resources about printing, visit My Design Shop.Getting It Printed
Getting It Printed

Designers can save time, money and frustration with this essential guide to printing.