If you’ve slacked off replacing your Pantone chip books, then now’s the time to do so: The company today announced the PANTONE PLUS SERIES, a new system that evolves the familiar old PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM. (We suppose we’ll now call it PPS, instead of PMS.)
In recognition of the launch, HOW and Pantone are offering a giveaway to the 4th, 5th and 6th person to comment on this post by 5 p.m. ET today, May 10 (provide your e-mail address so we can get in touch with you). Three winners will receive a Solid Guide Set, which includes the Formula Guide, Premium Metallics and Pastels & Neons.
In addition to 224 new solid colors, Pantone Plus features what we consider to be a major enhancement: colors are now arranged chromatically instead of numerically … meaning, all the blues are together, regardless of when they were introduced into the system. Numbers retain from the old system, so what you know as PMS 185 is still 185 under the new scheme.
The Plus Series also includes a broader selection of metallics and neons. Here’s another handy new feature: All the color guides include a ColorChecker indicator
to instantly show whether current lighting conditions are suitable for
color evaluation. And colors are printed on coated and uncoated text-weight paper to match the most predominant printing surface.
A Color Manager software tool comes free with purchase of a Plus Series guide; it lets you update applications like Adobe’s Creative Suite and QuarkXPress with the expanded Plus Series color library, and you can convert spot to process colors. You can also use the myPANTONE iPhone app to access Plus Series libraries. Both tools will be available in June.
The complete PANTONE PLUS SERIES includes:
• PANTONE FORMULA GUIDE (Solid Coated and Uncoated)
• PANTONE SOLID CHIPS (Coated and Uncoated)
• PANTONE COLOR BRIDGE (Coated or Uncoated)
• PANTONE CMYK (Coated and Uncoated)
• PANTONE METALLIC FORMULA GUIDE (Coated)
• PANTONE METALLIC CHIPS (Coated)
• PANTONE PREMIUM METALLICS (Coated)
• PANTONE PREMIUM METALLICS CHIPS (Coated)
• PANTONE PASTELS & NEONS (Coated/Uncoated)
• PANTONE PASTELS & NEONS CHIPS (Coated/Uncoated)
• PANTONE COLOR MANAGER Software
• myPANTONE and X-Ref iPhone applications
Remember, if you’re the 4th, 5th or 6th person to comment on this
post by 5 p.m. today (May 10), you’ll win a set of PANTONE PLUS SERIES