Creative business coach Marcia Hoeck will be presenting a live Design Tutorial on Wednesday, July 25 from 2-3pm EST, called Getting the Right Support: Effective Leadership and Team Development. We asked Marcia for her advice about managing a team:
HOW: If you’re already managing a team, how can you tell if you’re providing the kind of leadership they need?
Marcia Hoeck: If you are providing the right kind of leadership, you should see the following:
• You’re less stressed, have more time, and make more money, than you did before.
• You feel confident your team represents your business philosophies, which reflects positively on the business.
• You don’t have prima donna employees who hold you and others hostage with their attitude and demands.
• You don’t have a “revolving door,” where you hire someone, train them, and they leave to go work somewhere else.
• There’s no job hoarding or withholding of information—communication about client projects and workloads is shared freely, and collaboration is the norm.
• People like to come to work because of the friendly, relaxed atmosphere.
• Your team members come to you with serious challenges and appreciate your feedback, but don’t feel bound to follow your advice—they are able and feel free to make good decisions on their own.
• You feel you can leave for a week, or two, or three—and everything will be fine when you come back.
HOW: What’s the best way to evaluate whether a team structure is working?
Marcia Hoeck: To evaluate whether your team structure is working, ask yourself these questions:
• Do I have true influence on my team—or just authority?
• Can I encourage people to accomplish things because they want to—or because I want them to?
• Do I make problems, or solve problems for my team?
• Do I get compliments on my team from clients and others?
• Do my team members ask for input and opinions of other team members, or do they jealously guard their work?
• Does my team create value for the company?
• How efficient is my team? Are we working on the right things at the right time, and not wasting time? Do I know exactly how everyone is spending their time?
You may be in a leadership position, but are you a strong leader? Are you supported by a strong team who gives you what you need? In this Design Tutorial, business consultant Marcia Hoeck will take you through some effective leadership development that will help answer questions like: What does it mean to be a good leader? How do you know when you are one? How do you get better if you’re not there yet? Because the key to getting the support you need is knowing how to motivate the people who work for you. Be one of the first 15 to sign up, and receive a free consulting call with Hoeck so she can work with you one-on-one!