Part of what you’ll take away from HOW Design Live events in Chicago this week will come outside and beyond the various conference sessions. HOW veterans tell us that the ideas they exchange with other designers in the hallways, the elevators and the break times are extremely valuable. So we’ve set up a series of Breakfast Roundtables designed to bring you together with other creatives, and we’ve opened the doors for attendees to volunteer to lead discussions of interest to them.
Here’s the schedule of Breakfast Roundtables. All will be held in the Resource Center. And don’t worry; this information will be available onsite at the conference, as well. Don’t see a discussion topic that interests you? Then grab some breakfast, find a table and start your own discussion group.
The Dieline Package Design Conference—Thursday, June 23, 8:00 a.m.–8:50 a.m.
- Design By Mail (moderated by Philip Hague)
- How to Get Good Ideas Through Without All the Agony (moderated by Jonathan Ford)
- Executing Packaging in China for the U.S. Market (moderated by Mitch Crews and Sean Murphy)
- Sustainability in a Tough Economy (moderated by Elmwood and Tin Horse)
- How can a package designer create positive social change through their work?
- How Can Social Media Impact a Project for Good or Bad?
- How to Explain and Deter Crowdsourcing
Creative Freelancers Conference—Friday, June 24, 8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.
- Battling Boredom and Burnout (moderated by Terri Lonier)
- Crowdsourcing and the Effects it has on Freelancing in the Graphic Design Industry (moderated by David Oldham)
- Freelance Issues. Creative Inspiration and Motivation. Identity Design and Brand Development. (moderated by Steve Gordon)
- How to Grow Your Business Beyond What You Can Handle as a Solo Designer (moderated by Elizabeth Coffey)
- Managing Relationships: How to Hire Clients (moderated by Luke Mysse)
- The Ideal Freelancer (moderated by Christopher Hyde)
- The Various Online Software Options Available to Help Creatives Be More Successful (moderated by Seth Erickson)
- Too Old to Be a Designer (moderated by Laurel Black)
- Using Social Media as a Business Tool (moderated by Damien Golden)
- You Can’t Do it Alone, But Who Can You Do it With? (moderated by Monique Elwell)
- Freelance Writers
- Freelance Illustrators
- Freelance Photographers
- Freelance Designers
InHOWse Managers Conference—Sunday, June 26, 8:00 a.m.–9:00 a.m.
- Creative Briefs (moderated by Emily Cohen)
- Effectively Using Social Media to Promote Your Brand (moderated by Brad Dressler)
- How to Get Respect For Your Team (moderated by Andy Epstein)
- How to Manage When You’re a New Manager
- How to Be Creative Within Brand Guidelines
- Workflow Processes (Best Practices)
- Project Planning and Budgeting (Best Practices)
- The Dreaded Approval Process
- Tight Deadlines: Getting Reasonable Turnarounds from Internal Clients
HOW Design Conference—Monday, June 27, 8:30 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
- E-mail Design (moderated by Andrea Smith)
- Leading Your Client to the Right Design (moderated by Melissa Harris)
- Diffusing Tempers and Tantrums (moderated by Cami Travis-Groves)
- Social Media for Design Resources and Promoting Your Work (moderated by Brad Dressler)
- For Anyone Working Alone: All the Ways to Find Help and Inspiration Outside of Your Little World
- Scheduling and Managing Jobs Within a Budget
- Fresh Out of College
- Thinking of Starting Your Own Design Business? Me Too!
- How to Incorporate Your Passions Into Your Work
- Regional Table: East
- Regional Table: West
- Regional Table: Midwest
- Regional Table: South