HOW’s sister site HOWinteractivedesign.com is all about web design for graphic designers—we cover industry news, innovations in web design and education resources and help print designers make the transition to interactive design. We blog daily, post in-depth articles about web design every week and feature an awesome Site of the Day and post a Job of the Day. For your convenience, here are our web design top stories of the past week:
- 1 Tip for Startups: Don’t Steal Design Assets: Seems obvious, right? And yet a startup called Curebit copied its web design from 37signals‘ Highrise—even straight up using the images hosted on 37signals’ website. See the Twitter fight between 37signals and Curebit here.
- Art Center’s Media Design MFA: We’ve started profiling interactive design programs affiliated with major design schools. If you’re considering going back to school to study web design or interactive design, look for a new profile every week!
- Designing for the Web DesignCast: Patrick McNeil’s leading a DesignCast for web beginners next week—he’ll teach you how your design skills transfer to the web, how content management systems work and where to go to find web design inspiration. Learn more and join us!
- See What Your Users Can See: This awesome new tool from Google lets you compare a site you’re working on (or any site at all!) to the average web user’s browser size. Totally essential for web designers.
- What HTML5 Features are Ready to Use?: Not all the new innovations with HTML5 and CSS3 have wide browser support yet. You can see what’s good to go and what needs a little time in this chart of HTML5 browser compatibility.