We’re super psyched that TEDxCincy is happening in HOW’s backyard on October 7th (in fact, we’re pleased to be among the event sponsors). It’s being organized by a team from branding agency LPK and Procter & Gamble. Today, they announced a cool lineup of speakers, including Grant McCracken, who we’ve eyeballed for a HOW Conference keynote. The TED event’s theme is “Passion: The Energy Behind Life’s Most Fearless Pursuits”—and the speaker lineup would certainly echo that. Among the notables:
• Dhani Jones, Cincinnati Bengals linebacker and star of the Travel Channel’s “Dhani Tackles the Globe,” will speak on his passion for sports and its ability to provide individuals with a common ground to communicate and understand each other across language and cultural barriers.
• Grant McCracken, cultural anthropologist and author, will share his point of view on the connection between culture and commerce, how successful big brands rely on cultural factors to build awareness.
• Dr. Victor Garcia, pediatric surgeon at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, will deliver a presentation on how individuals, communities and organizations can work together to create a healthy and sustainable world.
• Claire Thompson, fashion designer and graduate of the University of Cincinnati’s renowned Design, Architecture, Arts and Planning program, will deliver a presentation on how her passion for art empowered her to overcome blindness and eventually led her to design a wedding dress featured on Good Morning America.
• Carlton Farmer, curator of the traveling “American I Am” exhibit currently in residence at the Cincinnati Museum Center, will speak about the imprint of African American culture on America.
TEDxCincy.com has the full lineup of speakers. If you’re anywhere in the northern Kentucky/southeast Indiana/south-central Ohio region on October 7, you absolutely need to be there. Registration is a measly $55.