Mobile web use now accounts for more than 10% of all internet usage worldwide. (In Asia, the percentage of mobile web use is higher than average—18%.) It’s likely to keep increasing, so web designers need to stay informed about developments in mobile. Here are five great mobile web design resources:
- Email on Mobile Devices: This dense and insightful resource from MailChimp is free and a must-read for anyone who works on email campaigns.
- Content Strategy for Mobile: A great recap of a presentation given by Karen McGrane about the importance of not treating mobile website users like second-class citizens.
- Recommendations for Building Smartphone-Optimized Sites: These tips from Google will help you build sites optimized for mobile devices and for search engines.
- Enhancing Navigation on Mobile Websites: This piece from Smashing Magazine gives practical tips for improving responsive menus and includes code snippets.
- Mobile Statistics: This site describes state of the mobile web with colorful infographics updated quarterly.
For more on mobile web design, you should check out the HOW Interactive Design Conference this fall in San Francisco and Washington, DC, which includes sessions on mobile web from the likes of Aaron Gustafson, Karen McGrane and Paul Boag.