Dieter Rams keeps popping up in conversations I have about web design. The German industrial designer led Braun’s design team for 40 years, and as far as I know never designed a website. But he got multiple shoutouts at the HOW Interactive Design Conference (likely because there’s an exhibition about him at SFMOMA through February).
Steven Bradley recently wrote a piece about how Dieter Rams’ 10 Principles Of Good Design applies to web design over on his blog. Just as a recap, these are Rams’ 10 Principles of Good Design:
- Good design is innovative
- Good design makes a product useful
- Good design is aesthetic
- Good design makes a product understandable
- Good design is unobtrusive
- Good design is honest
- Good design is long-lasting
- Good design is thorough down to the last detail
- Good design is environmentally friendly
- Good design is as little design as possible
Photo from the Dieter Rams exhibition by Nick Wade.